Welcome to Tourist Photos.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Miramar


Fernando Machado Square – Placed in front of XV de Novembro Square, was the place of the first Public Market and Hercílio Luz bridge maquette that was used for the symbolic inauguration of the piece. It was on Fernando Machado Square where we could find Miramar, famous ship dock of the town and meeting point of the intellectual elite, disappearing with Baia Sul construction.
Recently the square passed through a repair that raised pillars that mark the place where the marine used to be. Beside with panels telling the story of the Miramar, the square keeps the statue of Colonel Fernando Machado, hero killed in 1868 at Itororá battle during the Paraguay War. Next to the Cidade de Florianopolis terminal.

Metropolitan Cathedral


Metropolitan Cathedral: The history of the Cathedral Metropolitan starts in the year of 1675, when the founding of the city, Francisco Dias Velho, starts to construct a chapel in homage to the padroeira. As of custom at the time, he chose the highest and visible place of the small village. One of the main decoys of the Cathedral is the quantity of hole art. Its interior shelters, since 1902 the sculpture "Escape for Egypt". The Me tropolitan Cathedral is closed for indeterminate time for problems in its structure.

Public Market


Public Market: The building that today shelters the Public Market of Florianópolis was constructed in front of Customs in the year of 1898, in substitution to the old market, which was demolished in 1896, after 45 years of functioning. The current Public Market Municipal account with 140 boxes, where we find clothes, utensils, foods and works of artesanato in ceramics, straw and wicker. The building, with the diverse bars of goes central, is a point of meeting, as much for the natives how much for the tourists, as well as satge of popular manifestations, of traditional samba of Saturday and the parties of Carnival.

Hercílio Luz Bridge


Hercílio Luz Bridge: One of the biggest pensil bridges of the world, had its construction initiated in 14 of November of 1922 and was inaugurated on 13 of May of 1926. The inauguration the Hercílio Luz Bridge, finished with one old suffering of a 40 thousand inhabitants of Florianópolis: to depend on rafts to cross of the Island to the Continent or vice versa. The Governor Hercílio Luz decided to construct the bridge to consolidate Florianópolis as Capital of Santa Catarina. Since it was closed, in 1982, for measure of security, the Hercílio Bridge served only of postal card

Álvaro de Caravalho Theater


Álvaro de Caravalho Theater: In 29 of July of 1857 the basic rock of the new theater was launched. Only in 5 of June of 1871 the Santa Isabel Theater, homaging the Isabel Princess, was used, even without being concluded. For the failure in meeting of opinions and interests, the theater passed for a period of abandonment, when it served as arrest. Exactly thus time for a resolution that, in 2 of July of 1894, changed the name for Álvaro de Carvalho Theater, in a joust homage to first dramaturgo catarinense. The theater today occupies prominence place not only as part architectural but as legitimate cultural patrimony, tumbled since 1988

Santana Fort


Santana Fort: When the Fort Santana was constructed, in the government of the Colonel Francisco Antonio Cardoso Menesese Souza, the objective one was that this small fort crossed fire with the old Fort São João (1763-93). Tumbled in federal scope in 1938, the Fort Santana was restored and started to shelter parallel, the Museum of Weapons "Major Antonio de Lara Ribas", that shows a collection of weapons and army clothes of diverse times.

Cruz and Souza Palace


Cruz and Souza Palace: In middle of century XVIII, it was constructed together to the Vila de Desterro Square a building of three sections and two floors to be the new "House of Government". In 1977 beginning a great work of restoration of the building, that started to call, in 1979, Palace Cruz and Sousa, in homage to the great catarinense poet. In 1984 the building is overthrown as historic site of the State. In 1986, reopened, it starts to host the Historical Museum of Santa Catarina.

Old Figueira


Old Figueira :Woody during century XIX, the XV November Square received big trees, as the centennial figueira. People says that it was born in 1871 in a garden that existed in front of the First Church and that it was replaced for the current place. Traditional, sung in it chats and verse for the natives artists, brings I obtain superstitions, as to skirt it some times to attract marriage and richness.